I've been fortunate to goto WMC with the right people and experience it correctly with in-side information. Winter Music Conference aka WMC is a week long series of events in Miami, Florida where most of the biggest DJ's across the globe get together for one week of massive partying. And I mean everybody comes out for this, you get to see almost all your favorite DJs in one day if you really wanted to. You wouldnt get much sleep but at least you'll experience some great music around people from across the globe. So if your a rookie or just someone who wants to make the most out this event you should definitely read my notes and rules below. Be prepared don't be caught in a surprise.
1. Bring a lot of cash! Its definitely not going to be cheap. You can potentially goto 4 events a day; 2 Day time events or pool parties, a couple of night time events till 5am, and finally traveling to Downtown for afterhours events (as Miami Beach only can play music till 5am). The cover charge at there events will be between $20-$100. Drinks are around $8 - $10, and cabs will be needed. Oh yea i almost forgot about food, you gotta eat food, even thats expensive, stay away from the habbit of eating eating shit pizza as theres a lot of it.
2. Be prepared, know which parties you want to hit up before you goto WMC. You dont want to pick your event last minute check out WMC's "the List" for a full list of events, the DJs, costs and times. Make a list wiht details and print it before you get on the plane. Print a few copies too for your friends so they can find you. People who dont know what they are doing will try to convince you to goto other places. You dont want to make the wrong choice, try to stick to your plan. You want to check out your favorite DJs, you can even message them on myspace and ask for their set time at the event (someone will get back to you...hopefully). Your best bet is going to events with a bunch of world famous and popular DJs, they are gauranteed to be the most packed.
3. Buy presale tickets and/or get there early, parties will sell out on Friday and Saturday night get there early or buy a presale. Youd rather be inside then outside waiting in annoyingly long lines. Howoever i have seen people with presales arrive late and be given refunds. Once on a saturday night I went out at 1am and i couldnt get into a bunch of places i really wanted togo, we even had hot chicks with us too. With long lines that my ADD just cant handle. I thought i was fucked, all dressed up and no where togo on a Saturday night in Miami. Then i got lucky and saw a security gaurd that i had worked with and he got me into Mantion.
4. Timing is everything, a very simple rule: The Beach starts popin from 11am - 5am, Downtown gets bumpin 1am - noon. Dont be there at the wrong time. The day parties start poppin off at around noon and they go till around 10pm, where people leave to eat and get ready for the first round of night time events on the Beach. All afterhours is only at Downtown, then your back to the beach for more day parties. But you cant do both, or can you? Try to take advantage of both afterhours and day parties. One year i didnt even put my foot on the sand :(
5. Dont miss out on the day parties: What makes Miami different from all the other party places in the world is, that its warm in March. Perfect weather for Day parties, where else can you dance to 10 of the worlds top DJs at one spot under the sun? It rarely happens so make sure you dont party too long and have to sleep through the day. Click on this link to check out and RSVP for our Hi-Tek Soul Daytime event.
6. Dont goto a club with a bunch of dudes! You need one of these 3 things. Lots of hot chicks, a Big DJ or popular industry head you can mooch off, or a credit card with a big limit and loyal friends that will throw down on a $1000 limit table.
7. Dont by Drugs from people you dont know. At least make sure they have a good reference. I knew people who got totally ripped off. Given asprin, sweet n low, or any other garbage for big prices. Dumb asses!
8. Don't travel with large groups of people; ive seen it happen all the time. You gotta have some major connects to get 10 people into a party. Not only that most of them will have different musical tastes.
9. Watch your drinking, its easy to drink too much and you might endup with one of the worst hangovers in the world. Youll be hurting all day while your friends are partying with joy.
10. Bring a camera or travel with a photographer. Chances are you might not remember much from this trip, you might need pictures to help jog your memory.
11. Take advantage of the FREE parties. Check The List for full list of events that are FREE parties. Theres a lot of free day parties too with all star casts of DJs. Its a good way to save money to spend on other parties and drinks.
WMC EVENTS I RECOMMEND:
Saturday 3/29/2008 - Hi-Tek Soul WMC party @ Beach Plaza Hotel Rooftop w/ DJs Stacey Pullen, Kevin Saunderson, DJ Diz, Ron Trent, Benji B., Rooz, Sleepy n Boo, and Greg Gow. Click HERE for more info and to RSVP for Exclusive GUESTLIST
Thursday 3/27/2008 - Lights Out WMC @ Park West (formerly Studio/Twilo - next to Space) w/ DJs Steve Lawler, AudioFly, Clive Henry (Peace Division), Robert Owens (Live PA), Livio & Roby, and Jamie Jones. Click HERE for more info and Presale tickets