Its my 5th year doing this and I've got it down. I can practically teach a course on this sh#t. This is my guide on how to experience this event like a pro. Lovevolution/LoveFest is a parade on market street with DJ stations in each float. Once the floats park by City Hall each float becomes a dance area/stage with its own djs and lineups of stars. Parade starts at Noon, if you dont know the whole deal check out the schedule and location HERE. Its very simple, you need to break down a checklist of items you need to survive and a list of do's and donts in the back of your head at all times. You definitely cant come empty handed. This aint another saturday night at the club, you need to come prepared or you'll be inconvenienced.
New addition #1. Dont party too hard and too late on Friday night, I know there are a lot of tempting parties out there, but dont forget the main event is the Festival on Saturday. I myself am going to 5 of them, but you gotta get home by 3am. Next thing you know, youll find yourself leaving an afterparty Saturday morning. Youll look at your watch and realize that you fucked up, its 8am and Lovevolution starts in 4 hours...at that point you might just miss it.
1. Wear comfortable shoes, this ones for the ladies; your going to be dancing all day and theres also a lot of walking. Not to mention you might have to head straight to the afterparty, then another afterparty with a possability of End-Up if your as fit as a marine. If you live in SF or have a place to store extra clothes, do it. Its good to freshen up, no one wants to dance next to someone with really bad B.O. waving there arms around like a lunatic.
2. Bring a phone charger or extra battery for your cel. Your going to be calling all your friends all day try to meet up with them. By 8pm youll have no more juice in your cel and youve been jerking around all day and youve lost all your friends, you dont know where everyones at or where they are going. And you have no batteries to make a call or a text message... you'll be fcuked.
3. Leave a little early; dont get greedy... you've seen enough big DJs, now get the fcuk out of there before you get stuck. Once the music stops 20,000 fools will be scrambling for cabs. Dont get caught up in that bullshit or youll have to walk to your next destination.
4. Eat some thing before you goto your next destination. Everyone knows its not just Lovevolution thats popin off, but all the afterparties following it. Eat something before you go, sit your ass down at a diner, relax a little. One false move and youll be heading for the toilet.
5. The little things; Halls cause of all the yelling or smoking is gonna give you very bad case of the soar throat. Ear plugs, give them ears a rest or when you get home and try to sleep all you will hear is beeeeeeeeeeeeep. Extra pack of smokes, or you can buy them from the girl thats is a like a door to door (i should say party to party) salesman for $10 a pack. A jacket cause SF is gonna get really cold, it will be nice but at 7pm all the e-tards are gonna be in trouble. It will be good till 10pm for the drunkards.
6. Know where your friends are going to be, set meeting times with them, and definitely make sure to plan out where your going next before you come to Lovevolution. Its Disneyland with your parents all over again, flash back to the 80's.
7. Know which DJs are playing on which floats. Make a list and take it with you cause you dont want to miss your favorite DJ. Near each float will be set times, if they dont have set times posted as some one on the float. Dont bet asking some tweaker 17 year old where Lee Burridge is playin cause most likely he wont know. You dont want to be listening some no body while Deadmau5 is playing across the yard.
8. Oh and lots of Cash! Its true that to get into Lovevolution is only a small donation. But 8 hours of dancing will require lots of fluids, liquor, munchies, and misc. Don't forget about the afterparties and the ones after that. It's like your uncle getting you free tickets to the Giants game, all those extremely overpriced beers and hot dogs are going to make a dent.
9. As your walking in a hippie might try to sell you special brownies, take it, stock up, maybe even exhaust his supply... I give those 2 thumbs up.
10. Picking the right afterparty, very important cause at that time your cash is low and times a waistin'. You gotta find the right spot and you cant afford to mess up. If you pay $20 for a wack party, that might ruin your night. Your best bet is to go to parties with a big name dj. Thats what the crowd is here to see, world famous DJs, and thats where you want to be.